Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue today announced the appointment of three producers and three industry representatives to serve on the Peanut Standards Board. The appointments will fill member seats that became vacant when the current terms expired on June 30, 2018. All appointees will serve the remainder of three-year terms ending June 30, 2021.
- Southeast Region (Alabama, Georgia and Florida)
- John Carl Sanders, Ala. (Producer)
- Ann D. King, Ga. (Industry Representative)
- Southwest Region (Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico)
- Michael Newhouse, Texas (Producer)
- Shelly Witt Nutt, Texas (Industry Representative)
- Virginia/Carolina Region
- Donny Lee Lassiter, N.C. (Producer)
- James Carlton Gray Jr., N.C. (Industry Representative)
“Recommendations developed by the Peanut Standards Board have played an important part in the production and marketing of peanuts in the United States,” said Perdue. “I look forward to working with the newly seated members to continue to help their industry thrive.”
The 18-member board was authorized under the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002. One-third of the board members are appointed each year. More information about the board and USDA’s partnership with the peanut industry is available on the USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service’s (AMS) Peanut Standards Board page or by contacting the AMS Marketing Order and Agreement Division at (863) 324-3375.