This time of year often brings inclement weather such as ice, high winds, and lightning. These can often create power outage in rural areas. Farm sites rely on electricity to keep operations running smoothly. An electrical outage, over a several day period, may potentially lead to significant losses in yield and profit.
Farm managers and owners should consider several check-ups to ensure their back-up or standby generator is in top order when the time comes to put it into service. You may be asking yourself, what is a generator? If you are a farmer, you know how essential an uninterrupted electrical supply is to support your livelihood. Backup generators ensure your agricultural business stays up and running during power outages. Meaningful maintenance that ensure safe service and equipment efficiency is important. Here you will get the detail information about how do portable generators work, do visit.
Installation of Generators
- Keep in mind that generator exhaust creates carbon monoxide (CO). This odorless, colorless gas is toxic. Make sure the generator, like this Generac Whole House Standby Generator, is positioned outside and in well-ventilated areas. Remember it is toxic to both humans and animals.
- Do not use generators indoors such as parlors, sheds, or barns.
- Do not place generators near air intakes such as windows to prevent pumping fumes into the building.
- Install and check carbon monoxide detectors in areas near standby generators.
- Avoid Back-Feeding by utilizing a professionally installed transfer safety switch. This will protect line workers that are working to restore power. Also, never connect your generator directly to the buildings wiring or an outlet.
- Practice fuel safety by storing flammables away from heat sources.
Maintaining Stand-by or Back-up Generators
As we know, regular and preventative maintenance on automobiles will increase their life expectancy and reduce the chance of a major break down. The same goes for your backup or standby generators. It is important to inspect and service your generator to ensure it will function properly in the time of need. For the best 7000-Watt generators go through this, you will get the best quality generators. Here you will get the best petrol generator with various range.
Depending on the size and fuel type (gasoline, diesel, or even alternative fuel) of the generator, the maintenance and frequency of service may vary. However, most of the major operating systems can be discussed with little variances.
You should consult your owner’s manual or service technician for specific requirements and service intervals on your generator.
Before completing any maintenance, make sure the power to the generator is locked out and tagged out to prevent any unintentional start-ups.
Key generator components:
- Fuel (Diesel and alternative fuels may require more frequent maintenance)
- Engine oil (proper weight oil for engine and environment)
- Cooling system -if not air cooled
- Air intake
- Electrical / Starting system (Batteries, wires, alternator, auto-start, and spark plug-if applicable)
- Power transfer switch
Along with the regular maintenance, it is important to complete a visual inspection of the unit as well. Check for other issues such as:
- Combustible material near exhaust
- Dirt or dust accumulations
- Any pests that may be moving in (air filters and wiring can be attractive)
If your backup generator is to be stored for a length of time, it is recommended to cover it. Doing so, will reduce the exposure to dust or other environmental factors. This will also help prevent any pest from welcoming themselves to your generator as a new home.
AgFax Weed Solutions
Unable to display feed at this time.
Lastly, it may be recommended to use a fuel stabilizing additive to prevent the fuel from going bad over the storage period. By following the service manual for your standby or backup generator, you can rest assured it will provide dependable power when you need it most.
For a more complete list of generator maintenance Authorized Services of New England is a private company that has a thorough online checklist.
If you are maintaining a biogas digester refer to our article on proper maintenance.