“With new herbicide technologies coming onto the market, producers and applicators need to be aware of the different technologies available as well as the label requirements for each product,” said Todd Baughman, weed scientist and program leader for Oklahoma State University’s Institute of Agricultural Biosciences. “Using these herbicides within the parameters stipulated on their labels will be key.”
The March 6 event is open to the public and free of charge. It will take place 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Wagoner County Extension Office, located at 30058 E. 147th St. in Coweta.
“Although walk-ins are welcome, we ask participants to RSVP with their OSU Cooperative Extension county office if possible as an estimated head-count greatly aids in our planning for handouts, refreshments and lunches,” Baughman said. “Lunch will be provided thanks to the generosity of event sponsors.”
Topics to be showcased include:
- Specific label requirements dealing with the use of new technologies and herbicides;
- Information about how the new technologies perform and how they need to be used in a systems approach to promote and maintain their success in years to come;
- How nozzle selection and manufacturer guidelines affect performance and spray drift;
- The importance of proper sprayer cleanout and tank contamination issues; and
- An overview of various factors affecting spray drift.
Sessions will be led by OSU experts Baughman; Brian Pugh, OSU Cooperative Extension area agronomy specialist; Misha Manuchehri, OSU Cooperative Extension small grains and canola weed specialist; and John Long, OSU biosystems and agricultural engineer.
Three continuing education units for Certified Crop Advisors are being offered. Approval is pending for participants to receive certified applicator CEUs with the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry, for those who need them.
Similar events are scheduled for March 22 in El Reno and April 4 in Altus.
Anyone seeking additional information about the events should contact Baughman by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 580-224-0620.