Crop and livestock experts from the extension services in Arkansas and Texas will be on the agenda for a July 2 meeting to help provide flood recovery tactics for farmers and ranchers in the Red River basin.
The meeting will be held at the Ag Learning Center at the Four States Fairground, 3700 East 50th Street, Texarkana. There is no cost to attend and attendees are asked to RSVP by the close of business on July 1 for a headcount for dinner. Call 870-779-3609, text 903-293-2097, or e-mail email@example.com.
The meeting runs from 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- 5:30 p.m. — Ronnie Schnell, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Crop specialist, who will discuss options and varieties as well as soil fertility.
- 6:15 p.m. — Jeremy Ross, extension soybean agronomist for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, who will discuss insects, diseases and weed control in soybeans.
- 6:45 p.m. — dinner
- 7 p.m. — Natural Resources Conservation District and Farm Services Agency will discuss government programs that may be available.
- 7:15 p.m. — Tom Troxel, associate head-Animal Science, for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, who will discuss herd health and what to vaccinate your cattle for.
- 7:45 p.m. — John Jennings, professor of forages for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, who will discuss hay and pasture recovery options.
For more information on flood recovery, see series of flood recovery videos here or contact your county extension office.